Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bedtime Stories

I grew up on Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Although hard, her life was busy and full of adventure. No one ever complained about being bored. Although these books are targeted for girls, there's enough adventure to pique a boy's interest as well!

A little while ago, a friend gave us some CDs from this series. Almost every night Alyssa and Nikki drift off to sleep listening to stories of Pa, Ma, Laura, Mary, Carrie, and their good, old bulldog Jack. In the morning, they update me on the Ingalls' most recent developments.

I highly recommend this series either in the book or CD form! The CDs include fiddle music performed by Paul Woodiel. Cherry Jones does a fantastic job of dramatizing the reading so that even Shawn and I sneak a listen every so often. These are stories your children will never forget and are well worth remembering!

2 comments:

  1. My mom used to read us a chapter of the Little House books each night before bed. She saved up her money and bought the hardcovers of most of the books. I still have those books and they are some of my dearest material possessions. I look forward to the day I will read them to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids (even my son) love these books too. They describe such a wholesome family life. I especially strive to have that quiet family time the Ingalls family had every evening. Glad to hear someone else enjoys them too!

    ReplyDelete