Monday, October 3, 2011

Today's Story

In a matter of days we will wrap up our life story written here in California, tie it up with a pretty bow, and put it on our shelf of memories. A new book will be opened. A fresh page written upon. A new chapter begun. The same basic storyline will continue, but in a different setting and with additional characters. What will it say? How will it read? I cannot yet say, for I am not the Author.



I can only look at the page I have in front of me, this page entitled, "Today." On this one page, God, the Author, allows me to write some things down. Of course He edits and sometimes erases or rewrites what I have scratched out. But that is a right I have surrendered to Him. He alone knows how my story will end and how this page called "Today" will best tie in with the next page, entitled "Tomorrow."



I try not to worry about any of the blank pages that follow Today's page. I know the Author has an outline already written, but I am not privileged to read too far ahead. "Focus on Today," He whispers when He catches my fingers playing at the edges of future pages. "Today is all you can handle."



So, for today only, I plan and work and build my story. Today I live my life, knowing that God, the author and finisher of my story, is lovingly writing my future. Today I do my best to care for the things He has given me to do right now.

(And right now, He is telling me to get off this computer and fix breakfast for my kids.)

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34

3 comments: