Sunday, March 13, 2011

Piano Lessons for Ally = Life Lesson for Mom

I have been wanting to start Ally on piano lessons for awhile now. But where to find a teacher, and how to squeeze it into our already overstuffed schedule was a little beyond me. I prayed about it ... a little. Well, maybe I mentioned it casually once or twice. Okay, I confess, it never made it up to the really important prayers that I agonize over, but it was something that I really wanted for her.

Then one day, the daughter of some friends announced on Facebook that she would be teaching piano. Not only that, but, when I contacted her, she was willing to drive out to our school (after school hours) to teach Ally there. How convenient is that? And how often does a sweet, qualified piano teacher just drop into your lap? I know the answer. It happens when God wants it too!

When this all came about, I asked myself, "Why didn't I pray about Ally's piano lessons more?" Why didn't I take those difficulties, minor though they seemed, to God and really take the time to talk to Him about it? Ever so sweetly, God whispered the answer and I'm ashamed to admit what it is. I didn't take this prayer request to Jesus because, frankly, I somehow felt (whether subconsciously or consciously) it fell under the domain of things I have some control over.

Millions of orphans starving around the world, the carnage wrought by the tsunami in Japan, even the safety of my family are all issues I have no problem admitting are beyond my control. Those are the prayers I take to God because He can handle them. But, piano lessons? Ha! Simple. That was something I could figure out!

But I didn't figure it out. The desire was there, but the solutions didn't come to me. Time marched on and Ally got no piano lessons. The truth is God solved the problem for me. He orchestrated the right teacher to work within the confines of our schedule so sweet Ally could finally take the piano lessons she was longing for. I had nothing to do with it.

Which brings me to this life lesson learned: Whatever the need, small or great, take it to Jesus immediately. Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, is under His control and He loves to "give good gifts to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11. And, I think know He will make it happen in a more wonderful way than we can ever imagine.

"Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear." Isaiah 65:24.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that it all worked out. I wish I could learn piano.

    ReplyDelete