Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nick Vujicic and the Fatherless

This Sunday we were privileged to listen to Nick Vujicic speak. I just love the work he is doing! And if I ever get the privilege of meeting his parents, I want to give them the biggest hug possible. They were gifted with a difficult situation and, with God's help, rose to the challenge to help Nick become a leader.

Nick's presentation was as wonderful as I expected it to be. But I really teared up when he took some time out of the service to talk directly to the 10-15 prisoners sitting in the congregation. He spoke words of hope and encouragement to them and he instructed them to look to their Heavenly Father for guidance. He then turned and spoke to the pastor, directing him to follow up with them.

Photobucket

Boys in khaki are prisoners from the local prison, accepting Christ at Nick's altar call.


As I looked at those boys, some statistics I had read began to churn through my head. Approximately 80% of prisoners have been in the foster care system! In all likelihood, these boys were fatherless, broken, and forgotten. How might their lives be different today, if someone had adopted them or been a mentor to them? What if they had had a family to come around them and love on them? I don't know what crimes they have committed, but I know God's pledge to be a father to them is true. If they choose, they can become sons of the king.

I pray that they will never forget what they heard today. I pray that they will stay close to their Heavenly Father. Whether they get out here on earth or not, they can experience freedom through Jesus Christ. I pray that we will obey God's command to care for the orphan. Who knows what lasting results will come from one small act of obedience!

Photobucket

My girls, Andie and Nikki, and my friend's son get to meet Nick after the service.


Visit here for more information about Nick's ministry.

2 comments:

  1. few speakers have touched my life more than nick vujicic. his story is amazing!! must've been quite a service

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was! I have seen his DVDs, but there's nothing quite like seeing him in person. He really has a heart for the hurting and a desire for all to love God.

    ReplyDelete